June 26, 2006

Socks

Black socks, they never get dirty
The longer you wear them, the blacker the get
Sometimes, they long for the washer,
But, something inside me says,
DON'T SEND THEM YET!
______________ camp song


I troll the aisles of Big Lots, Gap, Old Navy, Target, Marshalls, The Children's Place. I am on the eternal quest for socks. Socks develop holes, get eaten by the dryer and 12-year-old boys outgrow them after a wearing or two. I am looking for stretchy athletic socks, but THEY MUST NOT BE WHITE. For some reason, both boys hate white socks and will not wear them.

Unbeknownst to them, I do not like white socks either. Nothing says "dork" to me quite like a pair of bright white socks, and nothing says "uber-dork" than white socks worn with blindingly pristine white sneakers. Unless the wearer is playing tennis, baseball or soccer, white socks are, well, dorky.


Clearly we are in the minority, since stores are filled with every size, shape and style of white athletic socks. There are the "no-show" variety, low-cut, crew, calf-high. Grippy soles, ribbed soles, smooth soles. They come plain or with a designer logo of choice. The ones I really hate are those with gray, black or navy soles which excite me until I discover that they are really . . . white.

This is my method. Occasionally, some manufacturer introduces the socks in a different color. They do not sell, so they are marked down. At this point if I find them, I buy lots of them. By the time they get to the discounters like Amazing Savings or Big Lots, I know this is the last chance so I buy all of them, then ask the stock guys to check if there are more in back. In this way, I cornered the market and hoarded all the Hanes black low-cuts, which had been discontinued after a single season. At the moment Nike is producing black athletic socks, but I suspect it will not be for long.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And if you get really desperate..Rit dye. I had to dye white socks PINK for one dd a few years back. I am sure Rit makes a navy and/or black dye, too. Messy, though :-(